As people come to London to pay their respects to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, areas around Westminster, Waterloo and Trafalgar Square, as well as along the South Bank, will be exceptionally busy. This will lead to busy services and station closures.
We are doing everything we can to keep our city moving and ensure that people can travel safely over the long weekend, including cancelling all planned engineering works and enhancing some services.
What you can expect from our services from Friday 16 to Monday 19 September
- Tube services will be running as normal, however some stations will be busier than usual, and some short-term safety measures such as queuing, closures, non-stopping or changes to the way customers enter or exit a station may be necessary
- Green Park station is exit only between 10:00 and 22:00 until Monday 19 September, due to the high numbers of customers expected. Please avoid this station if possible to keep capacity for customers who need step-free access
- Westminster, St James’s Park, Marble Arch and Hyde Park Corner stations will have changes to the way they operate on Sunday 18 and/or Monday 19 September
- Other stations expected to be busier include: Charing Cross, Embankment, Victoria, Waterloo and Lancaster Gate
- Night Tube and Overground will run as normal Friday 16 and Saturday 17 September
- The Elizabeth line will run a special service with twelve trains per hour on the central section (Paddington-Abbey Wood) on Sunday 18 September to provide further transport options for customers
- Due to road closures, some buses will stop short of their destination, be on diversion and/or run a reduced frequency. These changes will remain in place into next week
- Parts of London will be very busy. The Westminster area will be exceptionally busy as ceremonial events take place
- Walking journeys may take longer due to crowds and road closures associated with ceremonial events
- Some cycle routes will be impacted by road closures, such as C3
- Santander Cycles will operate as normal, but some docking stations may be closed
- If you are using your own bike and want somewhere safe to leave it, cycle parking can be found at most Network Rail stations
- Road closures will be in place across the weekend, and will significantly increase on the day of the State Funeral
- These closures will remain in place into next week
Taxi and private hire
- Taxi and private hire services will be affected by the road closures and some taxi ranks will be suspended
- There are a number of temporary ranks in place around central London
- Victoria Coach Station will be closed due to road closures in the area. Coaches will be diverted to Hillingdon and Wembley Park
- River services will be operating as normal
From Tuesday 20 September
There will be ongoing road closures and bus diversions as event infrastructure is removed. This is expected to take a number of days.
During this time, please make sure you:
- Plan ahead – using Journey Planner or by downloading TfL Go
- Check before you travel – by visiting our Status updates page
- Allow more time for your journeys
For more information, visit our website.
Commissioner of Transport for London